What is Trail Mail?
Trail Mail dates for 2019 will be announced soon. Please check back later.
Trail Mail carries on the tradition of John Beargrease. Commemorative envelopes are created by local artists for this historic event. Each musher is sworn in as an official U.S. mail carrier, and takes the letters to a post office at the end of the trail, just as John Beargrease did more than 100 years ago. When used to send mail via dog sled, it becomes treasured by the receiver and highly collectible.
How do I send Trail Mail?
- Purchase your John Beargrease Sled Dog Commemorative envelope(s).
- Write a letter to a relative, friend, or even yourself! Place the letter in the commemorative envelope and address it.
- Attach sufficient postage to the envelope and return it to the Beargrease office. (Beargrease Trail Mail, PO Box 16477, Duluth, MN 55816)
Where does Trail Mail go?
- Your commemorative envelope will be signed by a musher mail carrier and receive a stamped cancellation which reads “carried by dog sled.”
- Trail Mail will be distributed to musher mail carriers before leaving Duluth.
- Your mail will be carried by dog sled along the historic Beargrease trail to a predetermined pick-up point where they will then enter the regular mail stream!
You will be sent directions with your envelopes but you can also view them here: Trail Mail Instructions 2018
Discounts are offered to teachers, schools and youth groups when buying in bulk. Open the link for more information.
View Educator Discounts
Registered musher discounts available. Great way to thank your sponsors and fans! E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for discount coupon code.
The John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon is not responsible for loss due inaccurate or incomplete addresses, failure to follow these guidelines and instructions. There will be no refunds. If you have questions, please email email@example.com or call 218-722-7631
Trail Mail sales have closed for 2018. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org If you have questions.
About Trail Mail 2018
The design on the 2018 Trail Mail cache (envelope) was provided by Amy Tucci’s 2nd grade class at Vista View Elementary in Burnsville, MN. The image selected was a compilation of all the students’ drawings of sled dogs.
Amy’s class will be receiving complementary Trail Mail for 2018. If your class studies the Beargrease as part of your curriculum and you would like to submit student’s art for consideration for Trail Mail 2018 please e-mail email@example.com. Entries must be received by March 30, 2018 – the design will be chosen at our annual meeting in April 2018.
The John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon is not responsible for loss due inaccurate or incomplete addresses, failure to follow these guidelines and instructions. There will be no refunds. If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 218-349-0947